10 Days- Back to the Basics

So I have all but disappeared from the blogging world.  I can't believe it has been almost 2 months since I have even posted, but then again I can't believe our littlest one is almost 2 months old already.

I guess you can ask around, or maybe you have been there yourself.  Maybe you have 4 or 5 or even 8 or 10 children and you are laughing at me, but let me just say WOW, three has been a big change for us.  Three little people are... well, a challenge.  You might have guessed that from the lack of blogging, but it is mostly due to a lack of time for anything other than meeting needs right now.  I mean honestly, I don't know how the Duggar's do it. 

I have been tempted to get on here, especially on my tough and trying days, but then thought I didn't want to sound ungrateful or like I was looking for sympathy.  Then I thought about getting on here when we've had sweet little breakthroughs, but somehow the ups never sound as good once you write them out.  Either way, I have rationalized not blogging until I was reminded today about why I was doing this.  It's definitely not for my outstanding writing ability (joke, haha!), or as a way to solicit advice, or as a sounding board when I want to complain.  Rather, it is about documenting this time in our lives.  This time when my children are little and the days often seem to run together.  It's to remind myself of the simple blessings, the sweet moments, the incredible tantrums, and my intense struggles.  It's to bring emotion back when I can't remember the last time I cried... or help me focus when I have cried too much.  This is a "documentary" of sorts for our life. A documentary that I have willingly shared in hopes of being able to minister to even one or two who can relate.  That is why I'm doing this and I welcomed that gentle reminder today.

So, what I've decided to share are a few quick things I have learned over the last two months of having three "tiny humans" at home all day.  10 days of learning... See if you can relate at all... if not, just smile as I learn.

1) Back to the Basics
           "Sleep when baby sleeps"- Yes, this may sound silly.  Even absurd if you have more than one child, but in the foggy nights and hormonal days, a good 30 minute nap can revive me just enough to make it through the rest of the day.  Swing nap for Scout, bed nap for Faith Clare and "rest time" in the room for Deacon.  Does it happen every day? That would be a big, fat NEGATIVE but it is worth trying when at all possible. And indeed "sleeping" is relative but resting is worth it too!

           "Don't worry about the house"- This is a huge struggle for me because I could always be trailing after a child picking up shoes, toys and food, not to mention all the other household duties I need to take care of, but I have realized that sometimes I can't do it all and the house is what will have to suffer temporarily.  Like I've heard before, "Your child won't remember the clean house, but they will remember all the time you spent together in the dirty one."  Let's just say I'm embracing that one as of late... maybe a little too much. But I do want to focus on this beautiful time, not my beautiful house.

           "Wear what fits"- My clothes seems to have gone to the house of a friend 3 sizes smaller, shrunk to fit her, and then come back to my closet to taunt me.  I can't seem to fit into much and although I know it's alright because I have a new baby, blah-blah-blah, I want the clothes from before to fit.  What I have realized in these past few weeks is that I don't have to look like I have it all together, physically or emotionally... because I DON'T.  I am often frazzled, always late, and generally looking like I just crawled out of bed whether I really did get a shower and put on makeup or not.  My regular clothes are too small, my maternity clothes are too big and I might look like a disaster, but what I DO know is that I'm real.  I'm not going to hide behind "what should be" because that's not me... and actually it's good for others to know that I'm, shall we say, "authentic." 

So that is day one of learning... Lessons: Allow yourself daily rejuvenation time, focus on what is most important, be authentic.

My authentic children
"Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies."- Philippians 4:8 The Message

Comments

The Smiths said…
Oh kenzie. I am right there with you. 3 kids is kicking my tail, literally. Two wasn't this hard, but 3, oh my! My house is a mess, my clothes don't fit and I don't know up from down. My mom called to tell me 3 things and literally 5 min later I called her back and said, "I know you told me 3 things, but I couldn't even start to tell you what they were!"
We need to get our chaos together soon...the kids would love it and I would too
Devin said…
Aw, Kenz!

What a great, honest post. I remember those days well--and Lola is 10 months already! Col is seven--SEVEN! ACK!

I'm so glad to hear you say things like 'I'm leaving the house' for a while. I did that too, and I don't regret it one bit--though, I do remember it being VERY hard for me at the time (I'm one to follow littles around, picking up, too....) You won't regret it either, I promise!

Rest when you can--so important too. Amen, Amen, and AMEN to that.

This transition really IS a hard one. Everyone that has done it knows it, and we are all rooting for you! Especially me :)

Love you friend! So great to 'hear' from you in bloggy land again--can't wait to read more tomorrow!
Jen said…
I hear you!!!
I'm learning that on the days I do get a nap, to put baby in her bed and not in bed with me, because those 5 minutes that she spends grunting before she really wakes up is 5 extra minutes of sleep for me!!
And yes that tub of 'prepregnancy' clothes is taunting me from my closet too :(
Christine said…
Welcome back to the blog world my friend! I love reading your posts, as always. You need a little photo update on your header. Missing a child. :) Keep the blogging up! You are always an encouragement to me.
Anonymous said…
I feel you. I have four kids now but going from 2 to 3 was rough for me too. I think it's because you and your husband are now out numbered. Going from 3 to 4 was a breeze:) Don't get discouraged you are a great mom! You will fit in your clothes again (eventually). Your baby is still a newborn. Don't sweat it. It is nice to hear another real mom talk about real life. Keep posting! Take Care!
Steph said…
I check in every so often, but rarely comment. However, we just welcomed our 3rd little love bug 3 weeks ago & I have realized going from 2 to 3 kiddos is a HUGE change.

Everything you said I am relating to in a big way!

Thank you for the reminder that I'm not alone in how I feel & to remember what is really important.

In 20 years I'm not gonna remember the pants that didn't fit or the floor that needed to be vacuumed for the 4th time that morning. Neither will my children.

They will remember the mama that loved them to pieces and was willing to put them first...not the house.

I'd say more, but my 3 week old just started crying :)

Popular Posts