What Makes a Mother?

I read this poem online and it gave me a great sense of peace... God is the Ultimate Father and He is with our children, whether they are here with us, or in Heaven with Him.

Thought of you and closed my eyes
And prayed to God today.
I asked what makes a Mother,
And I know I heard him say...

"A Mother has a baby."
This we know is true.
"But God, can you be a Mother
When your baby's not with you?"

"Yes, you can," He replied,
With confidence in His voice.
"I give many women babies
When they leave is not their choice.

Some I send for a lifetime,
And others for just a day.
And some I send to feel your womb
But there's no need to stay."

"I just don't understand this, God
I want my baby here!"
He took a breath and cleared His throat
And then I saw a tear.

"I wish I could show you
What your child is doing today.
If you could see your baby smile
With other children and say,

'We go to earth to learn our lessons
Of love and life and fear.
My Mommy loved me oh so much
I got to come straight here.

I feel so lucky to have a Mom
Who had so much love for me.
I learned my lesson very quickly;
My mommy set me free.

I miss my Mommy oh so much
But I visit her each day.
When she goes to sleep at night
On her pillow's where I lay.

I stroke her hair and kiss her cheek
And whisper in her ear.
Mommy don't be sad today
I'm your baby and I am here.'

So you see my dear sweet one
Your child is okay.
Your baby is here in My arms
And this is where he'll stay.

He'll wait for you with Me now
Until your time is through.
And on the day that you come home
He'll be at the gates for you.

So now you see what makes a Mother,
It's the feeling in your heart.
It's the love you had so much of
Right from the very start."

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a precious poem. Thank you for sharing it. It does give comfort to those of us families who have had to say goodbye early to little ones. Praying for you and your family.
Chrissy said…
This poem is wonderful! I hope that you don't mind but I’ve shared it w/ a few others that have lost their little loved ones. I added your page to my page. Again, I hope that you do not mind. I will pray for Maddox and your family...as I am currently praying for my Eva as well. I am amazed to see so many of us walking this same path at the same time. I'll be thinking about you all and praying for you as well.

Popular Posts